I am a writer and editor based in Melbourne, Australia.
My first novel is a 2014 Finalist for the PEN/Bellwether Prize and is represented by the Jacinta di Mase Agency. I'm grateful to have worked on the manuscript at Canada's Banff Centre. I'm writing my second novel.
I've written for publications/places including the Daily Beast, the Wheeler Centre, the Hoopla, the Age, the Melbourne Weekly, and Notebook magazine.
- Coming Back to the Songlines
- The Mind-Numbing Artifice of Sufjan Stevens
- Marching Won’t Get Us Anywhere
- Silence = Writing
- Writing Tag
- Morrison, Diaz and Oates
- Good Reading & Listening List #2
- Good Reading & Listening List #1
- Exercise as Cure
- 4 Tips for Republicans
- Whose Home is it Anyway?
- Why I’m Holding Out
- Whatever You Do, Keep Doing It
- The Year 1913
- Australia, Go to Your Room
- RT @storymart_: This is a wonderful book. Kathleen Whelan is a savvy, funny, thoughtful storyteller. We love her in print & we're looking f… 1 hour ago
- RT @storymart_: A shoutout of thanks to @FaberAcademy Aust for the newsletter mention. We're looking forward to meeting Faber story writers… 4 days ago
- RT @mariekehardy: First guest for #MWF18 and GOODNESS ME IT IS VERY EXCITING xx twitter.com/MelbWritersFes… 4 days ago
Category Archives: Open Field
The second issue of annual digital magazine Open Field is now on the iTunes store. The easiest way to download it for your iPhone or iPad is to use the link on the Open Field website. But why should you? … Continue reading
Twenty-seven women said yes when I asked them to contribute to Open Field, the iPad publication my partner Dave and I are making for the international charity CARE. Since we had no affiliation with CARE until this time, and this … Continue reading