A tree fell on our house while we were away, camping. We three, in a tent, near a glassy lake, at the top of a diminutive mountain, five hours from the city. Our dreadlocked dog sitter – who, by choice, has no fixed address, lives to dance – and two yippy dogs, in a car on our street setting off for the park watching as the enormous tree creaked, groaned, leaned towards our house, rested on the roof. The tree’s roots – some thicker than a human torso – lifted the concrete footpath so high the slabs’ ends pointed to the sky, lifted our fence – palings like crooked English teeth, yanked up the leggy shrubs that grew under it. The stump alone weighed 2.6 ton the crane driver told me when he and his six men, two chainsaws, a truck, came to sever its cling to the earth, pulled it from the ground. They cut it as close to the soil as they could. Our car (a four-door Golf) weighs, I think, a little over 2 ton. Twenty dining tables in that tree, he said, which was a curious measure but one I understood and could picture. Continue reading
I am a writer and editor based in Melbourne, Australia.
My first novel is a 2014 Finalist for the PEN/Bellwether Prize and is represented by the Jacinta di Mase Agency. I'm grateful to have worked on the manuscript at Canada's Banff Centre. I'm writing my second novel.
I've written for publications/places including the Daily Beast, the Wheeler Centre, the Hoopla, the Age, the Melbourne Weekly, and Notebook magazine.
- Coming Back to the Songlines
- The Mind-Numbing Artifice of Sufjan Stevens
- Marching Won’t Get Us Anywhere
- Silence = Writing
- Writing Tag
- Morrison, Diaz and Oates
- Good Reading & Listening List #2
- Good Reading & Listening List #1
- Exercise as Cure
- 4 Tips for Republicans
- Whose Home is it Anyway?
- Why I’m Holding Out
- Whatever You Do, Keep Doing It
- The Year 1913
- Australia, Go to Your Room
- RT @storymart_: This is a wonderful book. Kathleen Whelan is a savvy, funny, thoughtful storyteller. We love her in print & we're looking f… 1 day ago
- RT @storymart_: A shoutout of thanks to @FaberAcademy Aust for the newsletter mention. We're looking forward to meeting Faber story writers… 5 days ago
- RT @mariekehardy: First guest for #MWF18 and GOODNESS ME IT IS VERY EXCITING xx twitter.com/MelbWritersFes… 5 days ago