I am a writer and editor based in Melbourne, Australia.
My first novel is a 2014 Finalist for the PEN/Bellwether Prize and is represented by the Jacinta di Mase Agency. I'm grateful to have worked on the manuscript at Canada's Banff Centre. I'm writing my second novel.
I've written for publications/places including the Daily Beast, the Wheeler Centre, the Hoopla, the Age, the Melbourne Weekly, and Notebook magazine.
- Coming Back to the Songlines
- The Mind-Numbing Artifice of Sufjan Stevens
- Marching Won’t Get Us Anywhere
- Silence = Writing
- Writing Tag
- Morrison, Diaz and Oates
- Good Reading & Listening List #2
- Good Reading & Listening List #1
- Exercise as Cure
- 4 Tips for Republicans
- Whose Home is it Anyway?
- Why I’m Holding Out
- Whatever You Do, Keep Doing It
- The Year 1913
- Australia, Go to Your Room
- RT @storymart_: This is a wonderful book. Kathleen Whelan is a savvy, funny, thoughtful storyteller. We love her in print & we're looking f… 1 hour ago
- RT @storymart_: A shoutout of thanks to @FaberAcademy Aust for the newsletter mention. We're looking forward to meeting Faber story writers… 4 days ago
- RT @mariekehardy: First guest for #MWF18 and GOODNESS ME IT IS VERY EXCITING xx twitter.com/MelbWritersFes… 4 days ago
Tag Archives: Writing
A lot happened in 1913. It’s a year often neglected by history books since so much that was world-changing occurred during the 1914 to 1918 Great War that followed. However, I’m working on a project that spins around the years … Continue reading
I go to the library to write because the library has no internet. That’s what I tell myself.
Waiting for inspiration can be dangerous. I’ve wasted days waiting, walking my dogs, staring at this screen, tapping on my desk. Given that life contains a finite number of days, and I’ve no idea how many more I have left, … Continue reading